· A template is a “snapshot” of that VM taken at a time when the VM was freshly installed and before it was “used”, because you don’t want to use dirty machines .
· Templates typically include:
o Fresh install of guest OS with Updates.
o All Necessary Applications
o VMware Tools (will be discussed on another post)
· Existing VMs can be converted to temples(but if already used it’s not recommended ! ).
· Temples can “deployed” /cloned (but not converted) to new VMs OR they can be converted back to VMs
· Templates are stored along with VMs in a folders and in data stores
You have to go to the “virtual machines & temples” inventory view to see your templates or else they won’t be visible.
Create a fresh copy of OS and install all application you need on that folder , after you finish create this VM.
Right Click on the VM-> Convert to Template :
After we convert the VM into template we will see a “White paper” as additional VM machine , when we click on it we have two options :
Deploy Virtual Machine from this Template -> create a new virtual Machine from this template , with the same configuration configured on the VM we create that template .
Convert to Virtual Machine -> convert the template to the Original machine (Will erase the template we just create).