The Hyper-v is a virtualize Technology that allows you to use one physical Server to Host multiple Operating Systems. Virtualization used by the Hyper-V give you the administrator the ability to create a Virtual Version of a Physical Device (Server, Storage, Networking….).
The Hyper-V server working between two layers, The Hardware Layer and the Operating Systems Layer. Because of that you can enjoy many Advantages:
· You can use both 32-bit and 64-bit Operating Systems and Linux OS.
· You get the option to create Snapshots (Saving current system state).
· Reduce Electricity consumingUsing the above feature you can enjoy many benefits, here you have the top features:
· Testing Environment – you can do all the things you afraid to do on your production environment without even care, and with the Snapshot feature you can do it again and again…
· Save Money – it’s easy to understand way…no more needs to be said ….
· DDC (Dynamic Data Center) - Using that feature you can control your VM’s in a one single interface.
Hyper-V and few Helpful Definitions
Here I want to specify few new Technology’s you need to know when you start working with Hyper-V
VM (Virtual Machine) – Vm is Virtualize computer hosting an Operating System that acts as a separate computer on the Host Server.
VHD (Virtual Hard Drive) – VHD is a file that replace the Physical HD. Because the Server Host VM all you need to know that Every VM has VHD located on the Server .in other words it acts exactly as Physical HDD.
Guest – That Exactly like VM only a different name…
Host- That’s the Hyper-V Server, this server holds all the VM’s you created.
Hyper-V can come in many Flavors:
· Server 2008 \ R2 -> here we can find the Hyper-V as a role Built into 64-Bit server Editions .here you need to remember that this is only ONE of the roles you can use in Server 2008,but it’s not recommended to use the Hyper-V role with any other server Roles. Take that in mind before you planning your architecture!
· Hyper-V Server – Here you use the Hyper-V as a standalone server dedicated only to the Hyper-V technology and it’s available for you for free in Microsoft website .you can compare the Hyper-V Server into VMware Esx Server I wrote about in my other posts.
· Hyper-V on Server 2008 Core 64-bit – I only wroth this option for you to know it’s exist but this option give you Hell before Setting it up .