Before you begin working with VM you need to know that you have some Tools you must install after you create your VM, so what you need to know is that your Hyper-V server provides you a Tool call “Integration Services”, I can explain you a lot about that tool (This tool equals to VMware Tools) but I prefer to simplify the process and tell you INSTALL IT!!!
- Allows better Mouse Interaction when you using RDP Sessions
- IDE and SCSI drivers
- Network Drives connecting to the local Host
Your VM OS must have the latest Service Pack Edition to achieve the most from the Integration Services
- On the Action Pane -> Click NEW
- A wizard will open with the following pages
- Specify name and Location page:
- Name Field: Specify your new VM name
- Location Field: Here you can choose where to store the VM’S you created, the default location will be at your Local Drive.
Assign Memory Page:
In the Memory field you need to specify the amount of RAM you want for you current VM
You cannot provide amount that is larger from your physical RAM
Configuring Networking Page:
Here you need to provide the Network Adapter you want for that VM
Connect Virtual HD Page:
On this page you have two Main options:
Option1: Configure a new VHD for the VM
Here you can manage all specification belonging to your VM Hard Drive:
Name: provide your Virtual Hard Drive name (.VHD)
Location: here you can specify the location for saving your .VHD files.
Size: here you can provide the MAXIMUM amount in GB for the VM
Like Ram you have Physical limit you can provide depends on your PHYSICAL Storage
Option2: attach an existing VHD
Here all you need to do is to browse to the Existing .VHD file and attached it to the new Virtual Machine.
Here you simply can chose to install an OS on that VM or to choose to do it after you finish creating the VM.
If you chose to provide the VM the type of Media for installing the OS you can chose:
1. Physical DVD drive of the Server
2. Image file (.ISO)
3. Floppy Disk
4. Install OS form a Dedicated Server (Symantec NG for example)